EVENTS - COMING RIGHT UP!
SEE BELOW. MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW >
UPCOMING COMMUNITY WALKS AND ACTIVITIES -
TRAILBLAZER CURRENT EVENTS & ITEMS OF GENERAL INTEREST are posted almost daily on our Facebook page. NUMEROUS TRAILBLAZER ACTIVITIES FOR BERKELEY, JEFFERSON AND MORGAN COUNTIES ARE IN THE WORKS. Details to be posted here and on Facebook.
- Go to our Resource Center to check out the action with our great partner organizations.
TRAIL CEREMONY ON JUNE 13TH - A HUGE SUCCESS
Thanks to everyone who braved the weather on Thursday to dedicate the new name, signs, mileposts.
Very special thanks are due to -
- Commissioner Lyn Widmyer for doing most of the 'legwork' on the signs;
- Senator Unger for gaining approval for the Senate Community Participation Grant for cover much of the cost of the signs;
- Anna Stead and her team at the Harpers Ferry Job Corps for their great work in installing all of the signs and making the mile posts.
The EPRT provides a giant step forward for improving the quality of life for our current residents, for vitalizing our downtown areas, and for establishing the Eastern Panhandle as a major destination for eco-tourism. But perhaps the most practical and pressing purpose of the EPRT is to provide us with a powerful, highly effective tool to attract the high wage earners that we so desperately need here in the Eastern Panhandle.
Here is a link to a rather sobering article by John McVey published recently in the Journal about the growing problem of low wages in the Eastern Panhandle.
The EPRT - not just a dream.
IT'S A TRANSFORMATION.
Consider the consequences -
- of trails that provide free, safe, and convenient recreation (and access) to our schools, work, stores, parks, libraries and other public facilities by wide range of citizens and visitors - without motorized transportation.
- of trails that enhance local tourism by attracting adventurous visitors of every age and skill level (hikers, runners, cyclists, history buffs, naturalists, special events and more) to our towns, restaurants, hotels, inns, shops, resorts, colleges, galleries, museums, theatres, performing arts, spas, golf courses, race tracks, casinos, sports facilities, treatment centers, training centers and other attractions.
- of trails as they attract the most skilled professionals, more high-income taxpayers, and the very best employers to our region.
- of trails as they TRANSFORM the Eastern Panhandle into a region branded nationwide for its exceptionally healthy lifestyle.
The Eastern Panhandle Recreational Trail is not just a dream. It's a transformation.